[Skip to content]


Moving around (walking)

If you are experiencing some form of disability as a result of your cancer or its treatment you may find the following information about disability equipment useful. 

Occupational therapy and social care services assessments

If you are a hospital inpatient you may be seen by an occupational therapist (OT) before you are discharged. The OT will assess you to find out if you need any special equipment or living aids to help you maintain your independence or improve your quality of life.

 If you wish to see an occupational therapist please ask a member of staff.

If you are not an inpatient you may wish to contact your local social care services department and ask them to do a care assessment to assess your needs.      

You can contact the Social Care Services Department through the local office listed below. 

Leicester City

0116 454 1004


0116 305 0004


01572 722577


Sources of disability equipment      

British Red Cross

Provides short-term wheelchairs.

Phone: 0300 456 1914

Hire a wheelchair

Loros- wheelchair fact sheet

Loros- Stairlifts fact sheet

Loros- Choosing an arm chair fact sheet

British Red Cross Assisted Daily Living Products online Sells a wide range of independent living equipment.

Website links

Age UK - Disability equipment and home adaptations

Gov.UK - Disabled facilities grants

careco.co.uk/leicester-Disability equipment and home adaptations

Living made easy - includes information about aids to daily living

More information

Cancer Information Centre

For details of local shopmobility schemes, charitable organisations that provide or loan equipment and more information about disability equipment please contact our Cancer Information Centre 

This page last reviewed 19/06/2023