[Skip to content]


Information for disabled car users

This page contains links to useful websites with information about the blue badge parking scheme, vehicle tax exemption and Motability Scheme. 

Blue badge parking scheme

If you have a disability as a result of your cancer, or other health conditions, you may qualify for a blue  badge. 

For more information, including who can apply and where the badge can be used, go to                             Gov.uk - Driving with medical conditions, Blue Badges and public transport for disabled people

The process for applying for a blue badge differs slightly depending on where you live.  Links to information and application forms relating to local areas are 

Vehicle tax exemption

You can apply for exemption from vehicle tax if you get the:

  • higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • higher rate mobility component of Child Disability Payment
  • War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement 
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment.   
For more information, go to  Gov.uk - vehicles exempt from vehicle tax.

Motability Scheme

The Motability Scheme helps you get mobile by exchanging your qualifying mobility allowance to lease a new affordable car, Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle, scooter or powered wheelchair if you're getting a government funded mobility allowance.

For more information, go to the Motability website

This page last reviewed19/06/2023