The eye department is based at Leicester Royal Infirmary.
We are a large department of 14 consultant ophthalmologists and their teams of doctors, nurses, optometrists, orthoptists, photographers, technicians, clerical staff and management.
We provide general and specialist ophthalmology services for adults and children in Leicestershire.
At the Leicester Royal Infirmary we have 3 outpatient clinic areas, 3 operating theatres, and an eye emergency (eye casualty) department.
We cover the county, holding clinics at
Hinckley and district hospital
Melton Mowbray hospital
Rutland memorial hospital, and
Market Harborough district hospital.
About our patients and services
The eye department is a very busy place; in the year up to March 2018:
- We had over 100,000 outpatient clinic appointments.
- We received almost 28,000 new outpatient referrals.
- We performed over 5,600 operations, the majority being done as day cases.
- We saw almost 20,000 patients in Eye Casualty.
- In addition to this we provide an eye emergency service and 24-hour on-call ophthalmic specialists.
The Leicester Royal Infirmary is a teaching hospital, and we also work closely with our Professor of Ophthalmology in the University of Leicester.
We hope this website will provide you with helpful information and offer you an insight into our department and commitment to eye care in Leicestershire.
Please follow the links on the left of the page to browse through our pages.