Our womens' hospital is made up of an out-patient and in-patient service with dedicated theatres and a day ward, housed in the gynaecology unit at Leicester Royal Infirmary. There is also a purpose built assisted conception unit where we provide both NHS and patient funded care.
Many gynaecological procedures can now be carried out within the space of a day, however, some investigations and treatment require a longer stay. The length of time many of our patients have to stay in hospital has been shortened through our successful early discharge scheme, which provides some care at home.
In addition to general gynaecology services, further services are provided including:
- Dedicated one-stop menstrual clinics.
- Dedicated one-stop post menopausal bleeding clinics.
- Emergency gynaecology - including early pregnancy assessment.
- Fertility services - including a purpose built assisted conception unit. [page not found]
- Gynaecological oncology - an advanced dedicated multi-disciplinary team providing pre and post-operative care, with nurse specialists providing continuing care.
- Menopause services - offering advice and treatments and is a centre for extensive research.
- Sexual health services - this consists of fertility control including surgical and medical terminations, sterilisations, genitourinary medicine and family planning. The national strategy for sexual health will be helping to develop and shape this service providing growth and innovative change.
- Urogynaecology - this service offers a one-stop fast track service for patients with women with lower urinary tract dysfunction, prolapse and associated problems including incontinence. This service utilises medical staff, nurse specialists, physiotherapists and technicians.
Leicester Fertility Centre - introduction to our fertility and assisted conception service
Gynaecological services - a brief introduction to our gynaecological services
Maternity Services - information about our maternity services
Sexual Health Centre - details of our free and confidential service
Women's Health - info on womens' health issues, from the BBC
You can find accessibility information for Ward 8 - EPAU LRI here.
You can find accessibility information for ward Ward 8 - GAU LRI here.