[Skip to content]


Research passports

What is a Research Passport?

A research passport refers to the process and approach of confirming details of pre-engagement checks that researchers have undergone in the NHS and the associated HR arrangements.

It is the “system for issuing honorary research contracts (HRCs) or letters of access to Higher Education Institution (HEI) researchers who need to undertake their research within the NHS”. It also refers to “NHS to NHS arrangements for sharing and accepting pre-engagement checks between NHS organisations when NHS staff wish to undertake research within the NHS outside of their employing Trust.”

For more detailed information, visit the National Institute for Health Research website.

How do I get a research passport?

The Integrated Research Application System (IRAS) and the Research Passport system have been developed at the same to work in conjunction with each other. However, if you are not sure whether or not you need to take any specific action, please visit the National Institute for Health Research website for further details.

Is there anything else I should know?

Further information can be found in the SOP section of this website.

If you have any further questions or would like to speak to someone about this, please contact the Research and Innovation team.