[Skip to content]


How can I prove that I am entitled to free hospital treatment?

NHS hospitals have a duty to identify and charge overseas patients for hospital treatment they receive. Hospitals are required to check documentary evidence of entitlement to prove that you are ordinarily resident in the UK.

If you cannot provide the documents you may have to pay a deposit equal to the estimated cost of your treatment before you receive an appointment or treatment.

Maternity services, or treatment which the doctor or nurse thinks is immediately necessary or urgent, will not be withheld. However charges will still apply and you will receive an invoice after your treatment.

To help us check if you are entitled to free healthcare, you will need to bring two separate documents to your appointment - one to prove your identity, and one to prove your address.  


The following documents can be used as proof of identity:

1. Current signed passport

2. Residence permit issued by UK Border Agency

3. Valid UK photo-card driving licence

4. EU or Swiss national identity photo-card

5. Valid armed forces or police photographic identity card

6. Photographic disabled blue badge

7. Citizen card.


The following documents can be used as proof of address. They must contain your current address and be dated within the last six months:

1. Recent original utility bill such as gas, electric, water, landline (mobile not acceptable)

2. Council tax bill for the current year

3. Bank, building society or credit union statement or passbook

4. Recent original mortgage statement from a recognised lender

5. Current council or housing association rent book or tenancy agreement

6. Notification letter from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming your right to benefits or a state pension.