We have Signed up to Safety!
Listening to patients, carers and staff, learning from what they say when things go wrong and take action to improve patients’ safety.
We have signed up to NHS England’s Sign up to Safety campaign which is designed to help realise the ambition of making the NHS the safest healthcare system in the world by creating a system devoted to continuous learning and improvement. This ambition is bigger than any individual or organisation and achieving it requires all NHS organisations to unite behind this common purpose so we can give patients confidence that we are doing all we can to ensure that the care they receive will be safe and effective at all times.
Sign up to Safety aims to deliver harm free care for every patient, every time, everywhere. It champions openness and honesty and supports everyone to improve the safety of patients.
Sign up to Safety’s 3 year objective is to reduce avoidable harm by 50% and save 6,000 lives.
The five Sign up to Safety pledges
We have committed to setting out actions we will do in response to the following five pledges:
1. Put safety first. Commit to reduce avoidable harm in the NHS by half and make public the goals and plans developed locally.
2. Continually learn. Make their organisations more resilient to risks, by acting on the feedback from patients and by constantly measuring and monitoring how safe their services are.
3. Honesty. Be transparent with people about their progress to tackle patient safety issues and support staff to be candid with patients and their families if something goes wrong.
4. Collaborate. Take a leading role in supporting local collaborative learning, so that improvements are made across all of the local services that patients use.
5. Support. Help people understand why things go wrong and how to put them right. Give staff the time and support to improve and celebrate the progress.